Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, July 18, 2010

NEW CAR!!

I didn't believe in love at first sight until I saw the New Beetle concept car. I was 15 and saw a picture of it in USA Today. I cut the picture out and hung it in my room. I knew that one day that car would be mine. One of the best days of my life was November 13th, 1999. I had graduated high school, was attending college full-time AND working full-time. My parents woke me up on a Saturday morning and told me that it was time to check out my dream car. Of course I was ELATED! First we went to my bank where my dad co-signed on a loan. Then we went to the VW dealership, which was car HEAVEN. So many beautiful Bugs in one place! I knew that I wanted yellow, and they had the perfect car- leather interior, sunroof, 6-disc changer, power everything. I was on cloud nine. I hardly slept that night, I kept looking out the window to make sure it was still in the driveway. I truly loved that car and knew I'd have it for years to come.

10 1/2 years and 187,000 miles later we had to say good-bye. Time to trade up for more space. I became interested in the Ford Fiesta because 1) it was a 4-door 2) the gas mileage was uh-mazing (I drive 80 miles a day!) and 3) it looked pretty cute. We decided to take a look and we were NOT impressed. It was really tiny...like clown-car size. Barely any trunk space and the sales guy couldn't fit in the passenger seat (he was 6'5, but still...what if my next husband is really tall?) I test drove it but knew it wasn't right for us. When I returned to the dealership, Christopher was standing next to a beautiful red car. I liked it right away and it had everything we needed...4-door, HUGE trunk, roomy interior, automatic, sleek & shiny. Chris test-drove it first and I really loved the way it looked in motion. When I drove it, I was amazed...it didn't feel much bigger than the Beetle. It was a very smooth ride mixed with the right amount of power. I pulled into a parking lot and played with the controls. Then I looked in the rearview mirror and envisioned our kids...singing, fighting, sleeping, reading in the back seat. It looked about right.

The numbers worked out and before I knew it Chris was transferring everything from the Beetle to the Fusion. I was happy but sad at the same time. Happy to finally be getting a new car, sad to be leaving behind a huge part of my younger, carefree life. I like to think that one day, when our kids are in college, I'll own another Beetle (a convertible this time!) Yellow, of course.


Bye-bye Beetle, we had a great run!!

New car- 2010 Ford Fusion









Fits the Stokke with room to spare? SOLD!

Special thanks to my hubby for doing all the negotiating and husbandly car-buying duties. Now let's start filling her up with kids and car seats!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Does that mean more babies on the way! :) Congrats on the cute new car!

The Steens said...

I was wondering the same thing...are you telling us something? :-)
We have a fusion and LOVE it! I know you will enjoy it a lot!

Brandy said...

I love the new car!!!
I also would love it if you just came clean and let us know if your pregnant again!

SB said...

No immediate plans for Baby Burns 2.0 :)

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new car. random question - what kind of convertible seat were you able to fit in the back of the bug? i have the opportunity to buy a bug from a relative but am not sure if our seat (britax blvd) would fit. thanks!

SB said...

We have the Coccoro and it fit in the back seat. However, it only fits behind the passenger side (they should be in the middle, it's safer!) and you can't have them rear facing or you wont be able to get them out very easily. It worked really well though.