Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Routines...too early?

I love routines, I NEED routines in my life. I'm wondering if it's too early to start with Miss Abby?

Last night was the first night in her crib. I wasn't really planning on putting her in there yet. She'd just had a bottle, then a bath. I put on white noise in her darkened bedroom as I lotioned her up, dressed, and swaddled her. I figured we could try it! I rocked her for about 5 minutes and her eyes became super heavy. When I laid her down she was fast asleep. Chris gave her a bottle around 9:00 and she slept until almost 2 am. I put her back in after she ate and had a diaper change. She got up again around 5 am and I brought her out in the living room to eat so I could lay down, too. We both fell asleep afterwards, lol. I woke up around 6:30 and put her in the bouncer so I could pump. Afterwards she went back in her crib but she woke up shortly afterwards because Chris brought her in as I was showering :) He gave her a bottle and she went back to sleep in the bouncer as I got everything ready to go. We're going to try the crib again tonight. It helps that I don't hear every little sound she makes throughout the night.

I'm going to try to keep the bedtime routine going. We won't bathe her every night; I think we'll just go into her room for her evening feeding, darken the room and play white noise. Then we'll change her for bed, swaddle her and rock her for a few minutes. Then *hopefully* into the crib she'll go. Even if she doesn't sleep for longer stretches the routine will eventually get her there...and I do love routines! I'd love to hear what other people's bedtime routines are!

Abby had an appointment today for the second part of her Hep B shot. She weighs 10 lbs 9 oz! The nurse and doctor were very impressed. She does seem to be getting very big (and chunky...love it!)

I go back to work in just 2 weeks! Just in time for the last week of school. That is going to be one busy week, I'm scared! End of year records, report cards, packing up...in addition to teaching (oh yes, we teach til the end!) I am so excited for summer :)

4 comments:

Ali said...

Wow! That will be a whirlwind week! Good luck!

I am also routine obsessed! ...and I don't think it is ever to early for routines, as long as you are flexible and recognize that routines need to change as other circumstances change. I like to differentiate between a routine (pattern of activities) & a schedule (routine linked to specific times). With my daughter, we have lots of routines, but our schedule changes everyday depending on the circumstances.
Here's her bedtime routine (she's 2):
Say good night to daddy, change into jammies & a night diaper, say prayers, drink milk while listening to 2 books, brush teeth, listen to one more book, lights out, lie down in bed while I sing to her, then I turn on her lullaby CD & say good night.

Anonymous said...

Never too early for routines! :) Even if she doesn't catch on right away, she will eventually figure out the pattern and will make life better.

Genevieve said...

I think routines are great and you can never start too early. We started his nighttime routine during the first few weeks and I definitely think it helped him know it was time for bed. We kept him in our room for quite a while but we still stuck with the same thing every night(bath, pajamas, sound machine & lights low, nursed, bed).

I definitely think it helped because we never really had too much trouble getting him down at night...sleeping through the night, a whole other story though! ;)

I hope this continues to work for your family and good luck with the crib transition. :)

caroline said...

I agree with putting her in the crib. I think you both get better sleep that way. I love routines also. The kids thrive on routines. I have found that I need to be a little more flexible than I was with Jacob. I've also had to tweak the routines until I've settled into one that works with both of the kids. Especially since it's just me for bedtime twice a week (ahhhh!) Sounds like you are doing a great job!!