Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Behind.

I am behind on school work. I'm behind on Christmas shopping. I'm behind on blogging (especially my photo 366 project!)

I'm behind on LIFE!

As I was leaving work the other day another teacher said, "I don't know how you people with little kids do it. I feel like I'm behind on everything." That made me feel better :)

The downside to teaching (for me) is that you're never done. There are always papers to grade, lessons to plan, students that weigh on your mind constantly for one reason or another. My classroom is so disorganized right now that I feel like a hypocrite when I ask one of my kids to clean out their desk. Maybe I need someone to come in and tell me to clean out mine, lol.

I never walk out feeling completely accomplished. We could have a really great day (and usually we do!) but I always leave feeling burdened...there are a million things to do and not enough time! One of my favorite coworkers once told me, "If you feel like you've got it all figured out, you're not doing it right." Maybe that means I am doing it right! Another one of my coworkers said that after so many years of teaching, "you think this would get easier!" A little discouraging, but I've found that to be true.

I love my job. I just hate the feeling of never being done and always being behind. I definitely need winter break to relax, unwind, and get a jump on the rest of the 2012 school year!

2 comments:

Ali said...

I just read your post to my aunt - a retired 2nd-3rd grade teacher of 35 years. She laughed and said, "I never felt like I could get it all done until I retired, and I didn't even have kids. A teacher's job is never done, you just have to learn to live with that." Not sure if her advice helps, but at least you're not alone. From your posts I think both your girls & your students are luckt to have you!

L.S. said...

I know what you mean. I feel like I need a week off of work to get caught up on work, and then another week off of work to not think about work. I work a lot at home too so my work is always there... staring at me....

I hope you have a restful winter break!